Thursday, August 6, 2009

Easy and to the Point

I like fussing around in the kitchen making elaborate meals. I don't mind dicing, slicing, or even turning vegetables. I'll debone a chicken and I make stock. But sometimes, even I want to do something easy.

I just threw together some beef kebabs tonight. I couldn't go totally easy, so I marinaded the meat in olive oil, garlic, fresh thy
me and rosemary from the window box, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard and a little red wine vinegar. I had a cayenne pepper from the garden hanging around, so that go thrown into the mix as well. I tasted the marinade as I was making it and adjusted the amount of the ingredients to taste. I put in two pounds of beef and one thickly cut onion in the marinade
and let that sit for two hours.

When the two hours elapsed I put the meat onto a set of skewers by itself. I put the marinaded onions, along with a yellow bell pepper and some baby heirloom tomatoes on another set. I gave the vegetable skewers a light coating of olive oil and seasoned them with salt and pepper. Having the meat and vegetables on separate skewers allowed me to cook both to the proper degree of doneness. I popped the skewers on my dependable Weber grill and dinner was soon ready.

The vegetable came out beautifully. The were pretty to look at and had a wonderful flavor. The meat tasted great but was a little chewy. Next time we need to get a better cut of beef. Not bad for an improvisational week night meal.

No comments: