Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Turn, Turn, Turn


Like most red blooded American men, I have the grilling gene. For many, many years I have been deprived of this primal joy. Using a grill pan or a stove top smoker does not scratch the itch of standing in front of a fire, tongs at the ready. Since buying a condo with a deck, I have been making up for lost time.

This summer's addition to the outdoor cooking arsenal has been a rotisserie attachment for my faithful Weber grill. The results so far have been wonderful. The spit roasting yields a very juicy interior and a wonderfully caramelized exterior.

Last night a small, boneless leg of leg was my latest experiment. I rubbed down the leg portion with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and herbs de Provence. I let the leg come to room temperature before spearing it on the spit and taking it for a spin. An hour in a 350 degree grill getting the run around left us with a perfectly medium rare roast. The outside was a very flavorful crust while the inside was tender and juicy. E gave it her certified lamb fanatic seal of approval. If lamb is not your thing, I've had great results with a boneless turkey breast as well.

What ever your grill preferences are, you should look into spit roasting to add a little twist to your repertoire.

No comments: